In 2000, three year-old Brianna Maya was given Children’s Motrin. Shortly after, she developed a rash on her body and redness around her eyes. Brianna was having an adverse reaction to the Motrin, and it was only going to get worse.
A few weeks later a painful and potentially fatal skin reaction had burned her body, blinded her in one eye, and sent her more than 1,000 miles from home to the Shriners Burn Hospital in Galveston, Texas. Brianna had developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome in which the mucus membranes of the cornea, mouth, and rectum are broken down after blistering. She also developed toxic epidermal necrolysis syndrome (TENS), which is a more severe form of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and affects a larger area of skin and mucus membranes.
Over 10 years later, Brianna is still suffering from the adverse reaction she had to the Children’s Motrin. She has had to undergo eye surgeries and has developed seizures. More than 84 percent of her skin is gone. She has suffered brain damage due to the lack of oxygen to her brain over the years. She continues to develop lung infections, which affect her breathing.
Brianna’s mother never knew that a seemingly safe over-the-counter medicine could do so much damage to her daughter. No warning of the syndromes was given on the drug’s label.
After finding that Brianna suffered an adverse reaction to the drug in 2000, a jury in Pennsylvania awarded Brianna $10 million. Of course, no amount of money will ever compensate Brianna for the pain and suffering she has had to endure throughout her childhood.